Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Change is Inevitable

I have the bad habit of sitting on the couch. I watch too much TV and I let a lot of time pass by. I don't get much done. A to-do list on my fridge gets ignored and I try to get comfortable with the pangs of procrastination. I pretend they are not there and I have an extra cookie.
Admit it, we all do it. I am learning however that I can not hold time still. Try as I might the things I need to do must still get done. I suppose I put it off because I know more to-dos will come along. Despite the illusion I live, all these things are piling up.
I could get philosophical and reflect on "what I really need" which is always nothing. Then have another cookie. The problem with that is that my son keeps changing. Just a few weeks ago he was learning to roll over. Shortly after that he was "crawling" and now "the little engine that could" is trying to stand and walk.
I can not stop this progression. There simply are not enough cookies or TV channels. Even Girl Scout Cookies are powerless.
Of course I want to see my son grow and change and become one day a handsom man who takes his mother to dinner. Along with those dreams for him comes the inevitable reminder that time stands still for no one.

My waist line may actually be changing too. The lawn will start to grow soon and all the procrastination in the world will not keep my son from learning how to turn over the dogs, water bowl.
I just wish he was still 'still' and cuddley a little longer.

No comments: